Sunday, 18 December 2016

The Food of Love - Book Review

The Food of LoveThe Food of Love by Amanda Prowse
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was the first title I’d read by Amanda Prowse and the quality of writing would encourage me to read others by her.

The subject matter has been covered several times before so it is always risky to want to write about it again. From reading Prowse’s account of how anorexia infected the lives of one family you would almost believe that she has had personal experience of the illness in some way, which makes the Food Of Love a very compelling read of a well documented topic.

I found the author’s writing style delightful. The beginning goes at a slower pace than the last third but didn’t stop me wanting to keep turning the pages from the start.

The story is told in the third person through Freya (the mother’s) point of view. It encourages a debate in your mind as you read because you are allowed to decide whether you are in agreement with Freya’s decisions or if, as mother, you would handle the situation differently. I like that in a novel. If an author has you questioning a character’s motives then she has a captivated reader and that can only be a good thing.

I didn’t get a very good sense of place or setting throughout. Was I in a town or a village? I was never really sure. And it could be because this was a ‘to be published version’ but I didn’t like that verbs weren’t contracted and a few times I wasn’t convinced that when Lexi spoke (or her sister come to that) that she was a teenager. Her language was a bit wooden and towards the low points of her illness, the language didn’t sound authentic for a girl her age.

I also thought it was a mistake to call a girl with anorexia and dyslexia – Alexia. Weird.

If you can ignore that and you want to indulge in a well written, heartfelt piece of women’s fiction then you couldn’t go far wrong with this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment