Friday, 23 December 2016

Book Review - My Name Is Leon by Kit de Waal

My Name Is LeonMy Name Is Leon by Kit de Waal
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I just finished reading this engrossing novel by author, Kit de Waal.

At first I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy the language and tone because of the opening lines but the story promised more so I kept going. I became more and more involved in Leon's world as the story progressed.
I loved the casual way in which de Waal increases the intensity of the story until a high point towards the end and lets the reader float gently into a satisfying conclusion.

The lives of each character is cleverly woven into the story and we are never in any doubt about their motives. The characters leap from the page as if they were sat right in front of you. The dialogue was realistic and raised your understanding of the characters - none of it was wasted.

Description of scenes and settings are enhanced by some colourful and sometimes poetic language, setting the perfect atmosphere and breathing life into every episode of Leon's journey.

At times I felt as if I was reading a story that has lived and breathed with this writer for a long time because there is a loving and caring touch between the lines that I found most compelling. It is a story that is likely to live with me a long time, especially since some of the history and culture of the West Indian characters resonate with me.

Kit de Waal is a delightful writer and this is a story I could see on the GCSE English syllabus in time and, hopefully, the first of many from this author. Read it now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment