Wednesday, 5 October 2016

Book Review - Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo

Stay With MeStay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was given this NetGalley copy in return of an honest review.

This has to be one of the best books I've read all year. It's so rare that I give a book five stars but by the end of the book I found myself turning the last page and whispering, 'That's amazing,' so five stars it is.

I was drawn into the intrigue of this book from the very first chapter and as I continued to read I was fooled into thinking that this story was not going to go any further than the married couple, Akin and Yejide's problems trying to conceive a child. But as I kept going I became more and more absorbed by the cultural backdrop and the beautifully articulated prose.

Set in Nigeria between 1985 and 2008, Stay With Me tells the story of a couple who meet in their early twenties, their marriage and the problems they encounter with meddling in-laws when they are unable to have a child. But the book goes deeper than that. We learn so much about what motivates our two main protagonists as Adebayo weaves a set of engaging plot twists played out by fully formed and colourful characters. All the of the supporting roles stand out, you really feel as if you have stepped into the world the author creates.

I like the use of foreign words, the writer doesn't lose you by using them and she doesn't hold back in introducing the reader to what might be different culture to the one we are used to.

The middle and end of the book I found the most gripping so there was a nice build up of intensity there that I really appreciated by the end of the book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fiction that is true to life, honest, well thought out and thoroughly entertaining. I will look out for more books by this author.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Super review, Fran. Hope you are keeping well and continue to enjoy your own writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola. Enjoying my writing at the moment. I hope you are too. I must pop over and see how things are going with you :)

      Delete
  2. Read this book too! Absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete