Saturday, 24 September 2016

Book Review - Underground Airlines by Ben H Winters

Underground AirlinesUnderground Airlines by Ben H. Winters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this fast paced, well written book by Ben H Winters. As the first of his I've read I will certainly be looking into other work by him. The dystopian world he creates in which slavery is still in existence is so skilfully crafted you could almost imagine it to be true. Winters shows great imagination and a flair for imagery, scene setting and character development.
At first I found it a hard novel to get into but that might be because it is not the kind of novel I usually go for. I think if you like crime or thrillers or psychological dramas, then you won't be disappointed in this one.
You might ask, then, why I didn't give this a full five stars. It was simply because I seemed to become aware in shift in the voice of the narrator. I'm not sure if this was intended or just imagined by me, but I wasn't convinced at the start of part two if I was following the exact same protagonist I'd set out with at the start of the novel.
That said, I'm sure this will be a winner with many readers. I recommend it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment