Friday, 19 August 2016

Book Review - The Loving Husband

What they say:

For fans of Apple Tree Yard and The Silent Wife, The Loving Husband draws readers into a marriage where nothing is as it seems...
For better, for worse, to love and to cherish, till death us do part...

Fran Hall and her husband Nathan have moved with their two children to a farmhouse on the edge of the Fens - a chance to get away from London and have a fresh start.

But when Fran wakes one night to find Nathan gone, she makes a devastating discovery. As questions about her husband and her relationships start to mount, Fran's life begins to spiral out of control.

What is she hiding from the police about her marriage, and does she really know the man she shared her bed with?

What I say: 

I just finished reading this novel and decided there were only two reasons I read it to the end. One, because I was given the copy via Net Galley for my honest opinion and two because I wanted to know how the author was going to end what I thought was a convoluted yet annoying plot.

I don't read many thrillers but for me this one was not up there with some I've found really entertaining reading. As I've seen some three to five star reviews for this book out there, I must have to conclude that this one was not for me.

Firstly I felt nothing for the main protagonist, Fran, but annoyance. Fran's reaction to the discovery she makes about her husband in the first few pages didn't ring true and the constant need for the author to refuse to let her complete a sentence until very late in the book made it hard for me to get a sense of who this woman was, what she felt and what made her tick.

As far as supporting characters went, I found some of them cliched in the way they spoke and were described. Some of them I believed but I was not convinced by the character 'whodunnit' at all.

I'm one of these people who sits and watches films and notices when someone has a full cup of tea in one shot and has finished it in the next and by the end of the same scene there was no cup at all. I mention that because on a few occasions there were these little inconsistencies that just added to my annoyance.

To mention some of the bigger things that either didn't ring true or were far fetched would be to add spoilers so I can't say more on those.

Mostly the pace was too slow for me except for the ending which I whizzed through because the intrigue built quite well.

If you choose to read this book, you will enjoy the author's use of POV and time. But beware because Kent sometimes moves from past to present quite rapidly, blink and you'll miss it. I did like that touch as well as the way we saw through Fran and Ali's eyes - neatly done. You will also enjoy the strength behind Kent's ability to describe settings.

But in my honest opinion this is not the best thriller you are likely to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment