Thursday, 28 July 2016

Writing Competitions and Thick Skins!

Recently I found myself rushing to meet deadlines in order to enter some writing competitions that I'd earmarked. I'd entered a few in the past and, apart from one Highly Commended for a short story, I have never won or made the short list - until today!

This is my celebratory post and a pat on my own back for having my second novel, When Skies Are Grey, make the long list for the SI Leeds Literary Prize for 2016! I'm extremely proud and excited, I can't stop smiling to myself.
I'd vowed to knock the competition entering on the head after these recent entries because I need to concentrate on all the writing projects I have in the pipelines or on the go. Only recently I was asked to ghost write a memoir, and you may remember I'm planning to write a book series under my pseudonym. I'm up to my eyes in word counts!

But since making the long list I feel like a writing competition Ninja - I'm going to enter everything! - Well, not really. I'm sure the feeling will pass. I mean apart from all the above mentioned writing projects, every time I didn't make the cut as far as prizes went, I felt hurt. I still don't have a thick enough skin to handle rejection like a Ninja would. It takes a while to get over the disappointment, I'm afraid. So I'm going to revel in the fact that, for once, I don't have to pull myself together and self help myself into believing I can still write after a panel of judges didn't pick my story.

The short list has yet to be announced. I just hope I can survive the nerves until the end of September. I'll be buying an extra supply of moisturiser in case I need it for all that extra thick skin.

I'm keeping everything crossed until then but making the long list has meant a whole lot to me.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Fran! Super news. Keep your nerve and take your mind off it by focusing on those other writing projects. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Have a lovely rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola! Yep, the trick is to keep occupied and I will :)

      Delete