Saturday, 14 May 2016

Book Review - Baby Doll

I recently finished this review copy from NetGalley and wanted to share my opinion on Baby Doll by Hollie Overton
They Say:
Lily has been abducted from outside her high-school gates.

For eight long years she's been locked away from the outside world. During that time she's changed from a girl into a woman. She's had a baby.

And now she has seized her chance and escaped.

Running for her life, with her daughter in her arms, she returns to her family and the life she used to know - to her much-loved twin sister Abby, her mum, her high-school boyfriend - and her freedom.

But is it possible to go back?

Lily's perfect life as a teenager doesn't exist any more. Since she's been gone, her family's lives have changed too, in ways she never could have imagined.

Her return, and the revelation of who took her, will send shockwaves through the whole community.

Impossible not to read in one sitting, Baby Doll is a taut psychological thriller that focuses on family entanglements and the evil that can hide behind a benign facade. 

I thought:

I was taken in by the description of this book and I have to say it started with great promise. I was sucked in straight away and looked forward to picking it up each day to see what came next. But that thrill only lasted until what should have been an exciting climactic ending. Sadly, for me, that did not happen. The book should have ended a good twenty or so pages before it did. Instead I was faced with a drawn out few chapters of what happened to everyone once the ‘big thing’ happened. I prefer to have a quicker resolution after the big build up, quite frankly. I don’t want to wait ages before I can have my cigarette.
This book is described as Adult Fiction, but given some of the language and how the story itself pans out I would imagine this would be suited to the YA/Thriller genre if such a category existed.
As this was a galley version of the book I’m hoping that the editor takes another look at this as there were a couple of times I wasn’t sure if the ‘voice’ of the character was using bad grammar or if it just wasn’t picked up along with the handful of minor typing errors.
The book read like the first book of a young writer which after a while bored me somewhat.
That said, I think the writer created some believable characters here and if you are a fan of changing POV’s that are each headed up by the character name, then this could be for you. This was one of the things that made the book seem juvenile to me and I’m not a fan of that style.
On a positive note the writer tried very hard to make something different of the hostage who becomes free situation. I liked her plot twists with the sisters and the boyfriend they both desired. I liked that there wasn’t an easy happy ever after with so much devastation caused in this family since Lily went missing. And I really loved the bond of the twins. I understand the writer is a twin and she seemed to be writing from a position of authority when she described how the twin sisters interacted.
Sometimes I thought there were insightful views and a commanding style when it came to expressing how a scene made a character feel and the psychological effects the trauma was causing. But it almost seemed as though the author ‘borrowed’ those tasteful passages from someone else because the language didn’t always stay in that style.
I have been very critical of this book because I do prefer something that is perhaps more literary. But having said that I think this could be a very well received book by the vast audience that YA novels have and I hope the writer has success with this book and continues to develop her style.

8 comments:

  1. Love the cover of this one, and it sounds like an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good cover. I think there is more than one. This might be the UK cover.

      Delete
  2. Great review, Fran. I recently read a book which was drawn out at the end. Until then it had been thrilling and I couldn't put it down but the ending could have been tied up in one chapter rather than "7"!! Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a real shame when that happens.

      Delete
  3. The premise does sound very interesting! I'm not much for literary work, so I might like it...if I only had more time to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, Stephanie. I went through a long phase of putting off reading because of time but lately I've been squeezing in time here and there.

      Delete
  4. Aaaurrghh! Nothing makes me crazier than a book that is so engrossing and then has a stupid ending. I felt that way about GONE GIRL. If I hadn't read it on my Kindle I would have chucked it out the window.

    @Kathleen01930
    Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we can't chuck our Kindles out but I do take great pleasure in removing the book from the carousel!

      Delete