My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers
My top 5 tips on genre:
- Write in the genre you love not the one you think will sell. You won't be putting your best foot forward. Plus genre readers are discriminating and they'll spot a fraud.
- Decide on your genre and read extensively within it and anything that crosses over. Read the good and the bad.
- Target literary agents who have represented a writer you admire in your genre. You'll often find the agent's name in the acknowledgements in the book.
- There are formulas to writing genre fiction, learn them but then make the genre your own by taking it to another or experimental level. Try something no one else has done.
- Remember genre fiction is plot driven - work hard on plot lines. Make them tight with no loose ends or gaping holes. A strong plot will make you stand out as a 'fresh' voice in your genre.