Friday, 8 April 2016

A - Z Challenge [2016]


My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers


G is for Genre

My top 5 tips on genre:
  1. Write in the genre you love not the one you think will sell. You won't be putting your best foot forward. Plus genre readers are discriminating and they'll spot a fraud.
  2. Decide on your genre and read extensively within it and anything that crosses over. Read the good and the bad.
  3. Target literary agents who have represented a writer you admire in your genre. You'll often find the agent's name in the acknowledgements in the book.
  4. There are formulas to writing genre fiction, learn them but then make the genre your own by taking it to another or experimental level. Try something no one else has done.
  5. Remember genre fiction is plot driven - work hard on plot lines. Make them tight with no loose ends or gaping holes. A strong plot will make you stand out as a 'fresh' voice in your genre. 
 

5 comments:

  1. Please swing by my blog to see what you've won!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good advice - too many things I see say find a niche and then write in it, but if you're writing in a genre you don't know and enjoy, it's never going to be right.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I've thanked my agent in three of my books--the last three in my Piper Morgan series won't have an acknowledgements section because...overkill! But she's listed on my contact page and I've seen other authors do that. You can also sometimes find it in our bios or on our Twitter bios.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had not heard all are plot driven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog at the Writer in Transit blog (and the A to Z). Signed up for your newsletter.

    *lol at herself* I was looking at your graphic at the end of the post and I misread 'Amish' as 'knish'. Gosh. Do you think I'm hungry? :p Have a great weekend, Fran!

    LuAnn (approx #369 on the list) @ Back Porchervations.
    (and one of co-host AJ Lauer's #wHooligans)

    ReplyDelete