Wednesday, 6 April 2016

A - Z Challenge [2016]

My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers

 

E is for Editing

My top 5 tips for self editing - before the professional editor gets their hands on your manuscript:
  1. Leave your manuscript alone to 'cool off' after the first draft. There's nothing better than coming back to it with fresh eyes for that second draft.
  2.  When you have a draft you think is more or less there, print it out and read aloud. You'll be surprised how many jarring sentences, weird punctuation and inconsistencies you'll find like that.
  3.  Don't be tempted to leave in your 'go to' words. Do you say, 'suddenly' a lot for example? Find a better word - repetition looks amateur.
  4.  Take a scythe to adverbs you can easily do without.
  5. Pay close attention to Point of View and don't baffle the reader by jumping from one person's mind to another in the same paragraph. 
  

7 comments:

  1. Great tips, Fran. I always read my work out loud. It's a sure way to find those niggling awkward sentences. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips.
    Adverbs? I'm paranoid about finding them in my work...
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points well made. The out loud tip is so very, very useful. It's amazing what pops out because the brain is having to process the text in a new way.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned recently by participating in a group project that I use "look" a lot. So I've been watching out for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the "read it out loud" suggestion. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! Have a fabulous A to Z.
    @ScarlettBraden from
    Frankly Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know reading aloud picks up mistakes. I know other authors who read their books aloud right through. Such an amazing amount of work to write a novel!
    Kathryn from Discovering Daisies

    ReplyDelete