My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers
E is for Editing
My top 5 tips for self editing - before the professional editor gets their hands on your manuscript:
- Leave your manuscript alone to 'cool off' after the first draft. There's nothing better than coming back to it with fresh eyes for that second draft.
- When you have a draft you think is more or less there, print it out and read aloud. You'll be surprised how many jarring sentences, weird punctuation and inconsistencies you'll find like that.
- Don't be tempted to leave in your 'go to' words. Do you say, 'suddenly' a lot for example? Find a better word - repetition looks amateur.
- Take a scythe to adverbs you can easily do without.
- Pay close attention to Point of View and don't baffle the reader by jumping from one person's mind to another in the same paragraph.