Thursday, 28 April 2016

A - Z Challenge [2016]

My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers


X for X-rated

Having been a ghostwriter of erotica, here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
  • Don't get wrapped up in blow by blow (forgive the pun) detail of the act itself. Remember to bring out the emotional dynamics between the couple. How does the situation make them feel?
  • Remember the 5 senses and draw on them to create your atmosphere.
  • Keep an eye on the trends e.g. BWWM and move with the times.
  • Never say throbbing manhood - ever again! Or any of the overused terms for parts of the body. You're a writer, use your imagination and come up with something new.
  • Write to stimulate the reader's brain as well as getting them excited physically. Know your readers - they do want some good story content

3 comments:

  1. Ah the old slot A and tab B of your first point - I've read a few of those where it's so clinical at to be detached or so graphic that it's more of a turn off than a turn on :). Very good points, all.

    It's always a good idea to make sure you're keeping track of limbs and things as well, because it's totally possible to make it sound as if someone has three hands :). I once wrote a whole sex scene and then realised that I hadn't actually put in the bit where they take off their clothes ::g::
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love a pair of legs like that :):) But it'll never happen. I'm far too short :) Interesting post, Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried writing erotica but I suck at it. I think the English language is pathetic in its lac of useful words for describing intimacy--it is either clinical, crass, or too coy. Good pointers though.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete