Saturday, 23 April 2016

A - Z Challenge [2016]

My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers

T for Targets

You've got big dreams, you want to write a sci-fi series of ten books, so right here is where you start setting some targets and getting there without all the sweat. (Okay that was supposed to be a play on the Fame series for anyone who remembers it).

But seriously, imagine you want to write a book series? How many words can you write per day, per week, to make that happen and over what time scale? When do you want to see your first in the series published? Choose a target that is realistically achievable by you and won't leave you stressed. i.e, it fits in with your life, family, day job etc.

Remember targets don't have to be like the one above. You can set yourself a target to:
  • write 1000 words of your novel each day
  • blog twice a week
  • enter at least 5 writing competitions in a year
  • produce ten short stories in ten months
 Whatever your long term goals - targets can help you make them possible. Good Luck!

 

8 comments:

  1. I have goals like that, so that's funny! I just make sure I work it into the other work I'm doing that day. If I miss a day, I give myself permission to just start all over again the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while to learn how to set myself realistic wwriting targets. I'm so impatient at times and like things done quickly but writing is a long term process and targets should mirror that in order to achieve success. Thanks for a wise and thoughtful post, Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A short story a month is a fabulous idea. It's realistic and achievable too.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice. Studies have shown that deadlines are about the only defense against procrastination. As a world-class procrastinator, I can attest this is a working solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are admirable goals, I'm afraid I couldn't be that productive. A large percentage of my time is spent in marketing/promoting. It's exhausting but somebody has to do it.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from A to Z, Fran. I've set targets for myself before. Sometimes they work and at other times, other things come up that I need to take care of, and the target is met later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good advice, and thank you for mentioning it's also good not to set your targets to something impossible.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree. Targets are necessary if you want to take yourself seriously as a writer. Often my targets are what make me get up every morning or they keep me reading or conducting my research.

    Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete