Friday, 22 April 2016

A - Z Challenge [2016]

My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers


S for Synopsis

It still amazes me when I hear writers using the words blurb and synopsis interchangeably. They are so different that if you mix up the two you could be jeopardising your submissions to publishers and agents and you could have some real long winded blurbs on the back of your books.

A synopsis is the summary of your book's storyline, written in a clear, factual, yet gripping way. In a synopsis you tell the literary agent or publisher exactly what happens from beginning to end - especially how it ends because a synopsis is not a teaser like the blurb; publishers and agencies want to see that your storyline works.

You only need the main plotlines and you don't have to cram the name of every single character. It must be as long or short as the agent or publisher wants it to be so check their submission guidelines. Generally a page of typed A4 is good. You may need a long version  and a short version on hand.

Lots of writers hate this part of the wrting process and here is a site I've found particularly helpful when it comes to advice for writers: http://www.writersworkshop.co.uk/Synopsis.html 


Retailer sample of Corrigan's autobiography Th...

 

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the link - synopses are so difficult, although not quite as difficult as blurbs I have found :)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Authors have to know the business of writing and I consider knowing things like you've posted a big part of the business. It's good that you've written this this. It reminds me that there's so much to learn before publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Authors have to know the business of writing and I consider knowing things like you've posted a big part of the business. It's good that you've written this this. It reminds me that there's so much to learn before publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a real problem when I wrote my first synopsis. My mother read my book and then told me what it was about. I think I was just over thinking it all. I'm a lot calmer about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link--that is very helpful. I'm better at synopses than I am at blurbs. I'm not clever enough.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete