My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers
Taken from Hannah Ferguson (literary agent for The Marsh Agency)
What to Avoid:
- I've been writing since I was four years old
- Take up valuable pitching space saying - my friends, my mum really likes it...
- Anything irrelevant - see above.
- Sending presents.
- Trying too hard to please in your cover letter. Just be yourself.
Do This Instead:
- Bullet points are brilliant - cover what your and your books selling points are.
- Write your cover letter in the style of you.
- Write a blurb rather than a synopsis - it's snappier and more succinct.
- Remember you'll need more content for a non-fiction book along with a more structured book proposal.
- Tell me why you are especially fit and qualified to write the book you're pitching.