Tuesday, 19 April 2016

A - Z Challenge [2016]

My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers


P for Pitching

Taken from Hannah Ferguson (literary agent for The Marsh Agency) 
What to Avoid:
  • I've been writing since I was four years old
  • Take up valuable pitching space saying - my friends, my mum really likes it...
  • Anything irrelevant - see above.
  • Sending presents.
  • Trying too hard to please in your cover letter. Just be yourself.

Do This Instead:
  • Bullet points are brilliant - cover what your and your books selling points are.
  • Write your cover letter in the style of you.
  • Write a blurb rather than a synopsis - it's snappier and more succinct.
  • Remember you'll need more content for a non-fiction book along with a more structured book proposal.
  • Tell me why you are especially fit and qualified to write the book you're pitching.

Begging Hands

6 comments:

  1. Great tips - that make is sound so straightforward :) Oh, if only blurb was easy to write.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been pitching online magazines lately, trying to get out of ghostwriting and more into bylined writing...so I'm back to the drawing board with pitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips. It's so important to remain professional and not give in to personal appeals. Hard to do sometimes.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete