Tuesday, 5 April 2016

A - Z Challenge [2016]

My Theme: Tips and Inspirational Quotes for Writers

 

D is for Description

There's no escaping having to describe what your book is about, whether that's for the blurb, a synopsis, to tell your friends about the book or to list it on Amazon. Describing our own work doesn't come naturally for all writers. So here are a few tips when writing your book blurb for the back of your book:

  1. Be brief. You can't put everything your books about on the back cover and neither should you. This is teaser. Read the back cover of the last five books you bought. What appealed to you about them? Resist cramming in details just because they're your favourite bits in the book. Only add what will entice the reader to click: Buy.
  2. Your book blurb should make the reader ask: 'How on earth is the writer going to resolve the problem they've just presented to me in their blurb?'
  3. Set the mood of the book. Are we sailing on the high seas in 18th century Europe or are we running away from a murderer and hiding on a lonely moor in rural England in the 1970s?
  4. Write lots of drafts before you think: This is it! I've nailed it! Get as many critiques and opinions as you can.
  5. Use powerful words that tap in to the reader's emotions: motivate, inspire, peak curiosity, intrigue, make them feel they are missing out if they don't pick up your book.
Good Luck!

15 comments:

  1. Book blurbs are tricky. I think it takes lots of practise...
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great advice, Fran. I will be working on my book blurb throughout next month. It has been niggling in the back of my head - how on earth am I going to write a captivating blurb? so, thank you. Perfect timing. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want an impartial pair of eyes on your blurb, do send it this way, I'd be happy to give an opinion.

      Delete
  3. I'm doing description, too (or I will be my time tomorrow--Hawaii so quite a bit behind you). :-)

    Nice job!
    -Sati

    http://atozwriting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh heavens, the blurb is the hardest part, even harder than the title :) Some great tips, thanks.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't get me started on the synopsis - hate that the most!

      Delete
  5. helpful points- good luck to all those who have got that far in their writing

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some really amazing tips which could be useful to many!

    Cheers,
    Srivi - AToZChallenge
    The Piscean Me | Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one thing I hate about booksignings and such--describing your book over and over and over again. I always feel like I'm not doing the book justice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the writing tips. I'm preparing my manuscript and getting ready to write the description for my book.

    Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge.

    Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm working on the blurb before I even write the book. It's point five that gets me stuck. I'm sure the other 4 points will make it easier. Thanks
    Reflex Reactions

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great tips for someone writing a first book.

    ReplyDelete