Monday, 4 January 2016

Does Your Writing Have the X Factor?

After my recent post, which talked about how hard it was to knuckle down and keep on writing over a long period of time, (and thanks for the great advice by the way), I'm going to be facing even more pressure concerning my writing!
Creative writing class-fine arts center (40269...

At my next Creative Writing critique group there will be a literary agent at the meeting, checking out new talent. The facilitator of the group sent a note telling us to make sure we brought our finest writing. I was immediately thrown into that place in my head where I judge myself so harshly, I can't let anyone see what I've written.

Now I'm asking myself: Does my writing have the X Factor? Or even a regular 'Wow' factor?


Luckily, today, I had to give a blood sample. Well, not lucky because no one really enjoys having sharp instruments being jabbed into their arms - do they? But, it just so happened, the phlebotomist was someone who'd come along to an author event I did last year and bought my first novel, Holding Paradise . She'd taken it on holiday and read it on the beach and loved it!

How cool was that to hear on a chilly, and eerily quiet, January morning?

So, while I know I'll be nervous reading my work aloud with a literary agent in the room, I'll imagine that the alternative is being jabbed several times in the arm by sharp instruments. Surely then, reading aloud in front of a talent scout won't be so bad.

I just hope the literary agent is nothing like Simon Cowell.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Fran, scary but what a fantastic opportunity. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has the meeting come and gone yet Fran?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has. The meet up was the busiest its ever been and the agent was a no show! What a surprise :)

      Delete