Monday, 14 December 2015

Writers - Let's Brag About Our Books!

Writers are constantly being told by social media experts that they mustn't shout about their books. They say it's like meeting a stranger at a party and banging them over the head with your latest novel and demanding they buy it - and you haven't even introduced yourself.

 I see the sense in that.

To the other extreme, I read an article this morning about Elena Ferrante, who writes her novel and then says, let it find its reader, without doing any publicity whatsoever. I'm pretty sure you'd have to make your name as a writer for that to work!

But when I say, 'Let's brag about our books,' what I really mean is, let's brag about what other people are saying about them. That's got to be all right, surely.

As writers and authors we can all become insecure at times. For example, I'm hard at work doing yet another edit of When Skies Are Grey. At times I'm wondering if I'm getting it right. Did I have it in the second draft? Did I lose something by removing that sentence? Did I kill the scene when I added that one? I'm doubting myself and driving myself crazy.

On top of that, I sent my short story collection out to two independent publishing houses and I'm waiting to hear whether my submissions were successful or not. Will they like my writing? Will they think I'm worth investing in?
I decided to put all this stress and doubt into perspective and take positive action. I recently got a lovely message on my website from a reader. It read like this:
I was at the author event at Isleworth Library last month - in fact I am in the photo. I have just returned from holiday when I got the chance to read Holding Paradise. It was so brilliant I finished it so quickly, I had to borrow another book. It is a lovely story with redemption at the end. I found it was very easy to read. Could you add me to your list of people who want to buy your next boo. Thank you Marylou
How lovely is that? And then I went on Amazon and re-read all my reviews for Holding Paradise, especially the five star ones. Okay there aren't millions but my writing touched a group of people and that's what counts. 

Sure I wish there were millions more like these but it's a start. It's something to brag about and something to make me remember I can do this. I can write. And let's face it - we wouldn't be doing it unless we thought we were good.

Keep writing ... and bragging.

2 comments:

  1. Brag all you like, Fran - you deserve to after such a good review.

    ReplyDelete