Monday, 27 April 2015

W for Working Titles

For any writers dropping in for the A to Z Challenge, a quick question:

How many times have you started using a working title that you decided to keep once the story was complete?

My theme is my novel, When Skies Are Grey. The title has been with me since the beginning and I've decided, now that the tale is told, to keep it.

Choosing the title originated during the early research I was making into jazz music (a big theme in the book). I stumbled across the song "You Are My Sunshine." Originally penned by Davis and Mitchell and first recorded in 1936. Followed by subsequent recordings throughout the years by famous artists including many from the world of jazz

The lyrics: You are my susnshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, When Skies Are Grey, you'll never know dear, how much I love you, please don't take my sunshine away.

And it is the song I always sang to my eldest son to rock him to sleep!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful title and "You are My Sunshine" is a song I grew up singing - makes me happy - even when skies are grey! My 4th grade student writers would prefer to hold on to their original times, even though their stories changed after revisions - I give them reminders of what their main idea is but that doesn't always help:) @Door2LoreSue
    PowerofStoryABlog - Every Hero Has a Story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah well, at least you try. Thanks for dropping by and hope it's sunny where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that title! And I actually, don't make fun of me, but I used to sing that to the first dog I had as my own when I was an adult. She was my sunshine. :-) Great post! If you have time you should stop by and check out my W Post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa - certainly not laughing and thanks for dropping in!

    ReplyDelete