Monday, 6 April 2015

E for Eddie Keane


An interview with one of the lead characters of forthcoming novel:When Skies Are Grey

Welcome Eddie, where are you from and what is your occupation?

I was born in St Vincent in the West Indies in 1928. I studied piano, saxophone and musical composition. My main instrument is tenor sax. In 1957, when the story begins, I was living in London's Leyton area.

What is characteristic about you?

I suppose it might have something to do with my physique and my style of dress. I wear my fedora hat for half the year - the colder months. In the summer I'm hardly ever seen without my white cravat.

What role do you play in When Skies Are Grey?

Well, I'm the one who helps develop the vocal talent of leading lady, Rayna Dawes. As you know, she goes on to be an international success. I'm a good friend to Rayna and I'm the love interest she tries to deny. I also play a part in bringing the racial tensions of the late 1950s into focus but I also show that a man like me can go on to do more with his life than many people of the time would ever expect me to do.

Would you agree that career is more important to you than being a family man?

What's important to me is being true to the things I love. My biggest love was always music and it will never leave me. I love my children but sometimes relationships don't always work out. I'm a true believer in walking away because it's right to do but most importantly to follow your heart when it comes to love.

Thanks Eddie.

Eddie Keane performed on stage with his band every Friday night at the Pelican Pub during 1957 through to the early sixties until circumstances changed all that...

No comments:

Post a Comment