Wednesday, 1 April 2015

A for Ambition

As this is going to be a month dedicated to blogging every day and reading and commenting on as many blogs as I can, ambition seemed to be a good word to kick off day one of the Blogging from A - Z April Challenge

This April I'll be talking about various aspects of my forthcoming novel, When Skies Are Grey. Several themes run through the novel and, I didn't notice it until a few drafts in, but ambition is one of them.

Ambition is normally associated with major achievement and used to describe our aims, goals and aspirations in terms of our careers or jobs. But to some extent, and be they great or small, we all have ambitions.

I would say that each of the main characters are driven by ambition; from jazz loving Terry Collins to jazz playing Eddie Keane.

Terry, the owner of The Pelican, is a jazz fanatic whose only ambition was to build a stage in his pub and have a jazz band play there.

But in literature, ambition can have more serious and darker connotations. Think Macbeth. No-one from When Skies Are Grey, will actually resort to murder. This is by no means a spoiler. But for one of my characters it is a warning that ambition, if it is the only thing that matters to you, can be destructive and can turn you into a person you never intended to be.

For the character I have in mind, there was nothing I could do to save them from their fate. But this person did learn a big lesson by the end of the novel, when we see how their ambition had detrimental effects on the people they loved.

[My ambition right now: to survive the A-Z Challenge. Day One and I'm hanging in there!]


13 comments:

  1. Oh that is so true about sometime as nice-sounding as ambition. There can be a dark side too. Sounds like an intriguing story Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great word to start the month with! It's good to be ambitious as long as it's not blind. Happy A-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Jenn. Thanks for dropping in I'll be by your blog soon!

      Delete
  3. What an interesting theme, with so much scope to it! As to ambition, I remember really, REALLY wanting to do something when I was a child, and almost hating someone who was better at it than me ... Until that other said something nice to me and I discovered that friendship trumped ambition (for me, for that moment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a good friendship, Diana. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. I think you're going to do great in challenge. Ambition can lead to a lot of emotional drama in a novel. Looking forward to what else you share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really captured my attention with the word JAZZ!
    I LOVE my jazz and your story sounds right up my alley!
    Great word to kick off your A to Z challenge. There's nothing wrong with being ambitious, as long as you're not consumed by it.

    Thanks for being the first commenter on my first A to Z post.
    Nice to meet you!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's more Jazz to come! See you on another letter of the alphabet!

      Delete
  6. Good luck in this challenge! I'm right there with you, but I have 2 blogs! Yes crazy I am. I'm going to check out your current novel... oooo some thing new to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly did the challenge with my second blog but I knew I couldn't handle it. Thanks for dropping by and I'll catch up with you on your blog(s) soon!

      Delete
  7. Macbeth definitely had ambition and it didn't turn out so great for him :). Ambition should always be tempered with careful thought IMHO. Sounds like your character is in for an awakening.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - all signs are pointing that way. No spoilers.

      Delete
  8. Ambition is great. Not everyone can hang on to it for the long haul. Those who do are the ones who are most often rewarded.

    ReplyDelete