Monday, 16 March 2015

Guest Post by Tracey Scott-Townsend

Today I'd like to welcome, author Tracey Scott-Townsend to my blog.
Tracey's second novel, Another Rebecca, launches on 21st March 2015 so look out for it.
I'm sure you'll enjoy Tracey's post as much as I have. Over to you Tracey:


The journey here

Sheds aren’t just for men. Virginia Woolf wrote in one and so do I. It’s like a tiny home of my own.
I was a single parent for ten years and I got my first shed then. I worked as a visual artist prior to 2010 and so everything was covered in spatters of paint and glue.
I’m married to Phil now. We knew each other at school and it was easy to get together 30 years after we left. He remembers me from when I was ten and wanted to be a writer. When I took up writing seriously, starting with The Last Time We Saw Marion (Inspired Quill 2014), I reworked the original draft, which I’d written when I was in my twenties. Two decades after first writing it I was able to give my youthful story the colour and shade of my real-life experiences, like a sick baby and a sister who died.
I have four children. Somehow many years have passed and they’re all almost grown up. Motherhood and family are a powerful inspiration in my work. Travelling is also marvellously inspiring. Phil and I have a bus-with-a-woodstove which means we can take off at any time of year. We always go with our dog, Riley, and we’re constantly on the look-out for a decent layby to settle for the night in.
We love the Outer Hebrides and are going back this year. When we’re away I find I can write and edit just as easily as I do at home. It’s an immensely freeing feeling.
Another Rebecca, my second novel with Inspired Quill, is derived from another story I wrote in my twenties. It was inspired by a painting called There is no Night by Jack B. Yeats. I imagined that the figure in the foreground came to life and whistled for his horse. I was studying for my Art degree at the time and lived alone with no TV. I listened to the radio a lot and played records and worked on huge drawings pinned to the walls. I used to work into the early hours of the morning. In the story the young Rebecca is much as I remember – or imagine – myself being on the cusp of adulthood. She lives in a caravan as I did when my dad was building a new family home.
Seventeen-going-on-eighteen is an age I easily identify with. Maybe it’s because I was that age when I left home. I’m far from being that age now! But you are always entangled with your childhood in some way. It has a powerful influence on the future and my characters always struggle to shake off the shackles of theirs.
Thank you so much for you post today, Tracey. To find out more about Tracey please visit her website, here
Tracey's novels:
Click here for more details
Click here for more details

You can also connect with Tracey on Facebook and Twitter
A little more from Tracey:
Novels:
The Last Time We Saw Marion (April 2014 Inspired Quill)
Another Rebecca (March 2015 Inspired Quill)
[I have also written a sequel to The Last Time We Saw Marion, as yet unpublished]
Short Stories:
Jennifer’s Dream (Etherbooks 2014)
The Water is Wide (Etherbooks 2014)
The Man in the Sea (Etherbooks 2014)
Two Weeks in the Sun (Etherbooks 2014)
Surprised to Know (Full of Crow Fiction July 2013)
White Hope (Momaya Annual Review 2013)
 







1 comment:

  1. Getting excited as publication date approaches, Tracey. So glad you're enjoying your shed.

    ReplyDelete