Thursday, 18 December 2014

New Beginnings!

Yesterday I received my certificate from Brunel University confirming my results for the recent MA in Creative Writing I recently completed. While I've been celebrating my Distinction, another glance at the letter that came with the certificate said that this is not the end but the beginning. And it's true.

Just taking part in the course helped hone my skills, open me up to knew ideas for my writing and I met some wonderful people on the way.

I sat down the other day and thought about the range of writing activities I have lined up and I'm going into the new year with quite a few writing projects that I can't wait to undertake. I've started the groundwork for these projects already and I never seem to come up for air. Not that I'm complaining.

I'll continue with the ghost writing and will also be bringing out books under a pseudonym. But my biggest journey, which started in 2012 when I completed a book of short stories, is finding out how to self-publish the stories.

The work I've done on that project so far is finding a good editor and having a copy-edit done on the stories. So now I'm reading through the edit, making a few adjustments and then I'll have it proof read.

While this is going on I've asked an illustrator to help come up with a picture for the cover. I provided her with my ideas, colours, mood and theme and I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with.

Self-publishing has lost some of the stigma attached but I'm making sure I do all the right things so this collection is published to the highest standard I could possibly make it.

It's a very different experience from the traditional route I went down when Holding Paradise was published. And though I feel privileged to have had my first novel published in this way, self-publishing seems to be a better for this next project.

So I've got a full year ahead of me in terms of writing and I'm looking forward to all of it. I will be keeping you posted along the way in the hope my journey will prove helpful to anyone contemplating self-publishing. Mostly I'm looking forward to making comparisons to both routes to publication.

I received my first royalty cheque from the publishers! It didn't put me in the same league as J K Rowling...but it's a start. And who knows what the future will bring.

The head professor of the Creative Writing course was very complimentary about my talent as a writer but pointed out that luck plays a part in success in this business. That being said, I'd like to wish everyone reading this luck and lots of it for 2015. Let's hope there's enough to go around!

2 comments:

  1. It all sounds so exciting, Fran. What a successful 2014 you have had. I wish you continued success throughout the new year and hope the self-publishing projects works out well. All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicola and all best wishes to you, too!

      Delete