Tuesday, 1 July 2014

I've Been Nominated!

Yes, a little while ago I was nominated to receive the Liebster Award

It has taken a while to thank the wonderful Samantha for the award, but I gladly accept and am delighted to be able to pass it on to a blogger with a difference.

Just quickly, though, take a look at my award:


Pretty nifty, don't you think?

But, firstly Samantha is a published short story writer who is hoping to make that transition to novel writing. You must pop over to her blog and check out this talented writer and follow her writing journey. I promise it will be worth it as Samantha has a new short story collection for you to discover. You can click over to find out more about Samantha here

Now part of handing over the award is to ask the person receiving the award some questions. Here are Samantha's questions to me and my answers:

  1. What is one mod-con that you cannot imagine living without?

    I would have to say my laptop. I write all the time and my handwriting is a disgrace. I start off neat but then it just looks like I've been drinking while I write. Granted that sometimes I do but that's just between me and you:) Also, being on line is how I stay in touch with everything and practically everyone I know. Who can live without a laptop?

    2) What is you pet peeve?

    Without a doubt it has to be the way a lot of Brits have decided to pronounce the the eighth letter of the alphabet. It is written like this: aitch. But some people insist on making a 'h' sound before it. People are actually pronouncing it inaccurately on television. You can tell I'm peeved.

    3) Who are the 3 people you most admire?

    One has to be my son. He has just turned 14 and he swims for the local team. He gets up at 4.30am three mornings a week to train before school. In all he has about 7-8 swimming sessions, keeps on top of his school work and has recently made it to the Nationals. (Which is a big deal in the swimming world). Another is the late Nelson Mandela. I admire his choices, what he stood for and the way he touched the lives of so many people. Last but not least is my mother for the sacrifices she made in her life, how she stays true to her faith and the fact that her stories influenced my d├ębut novel,
    Holding Paradise.

    4) What is the first record you purchased with your own money?

    If I remember rightly, it was
    Only Love Can Break Your Heart by Elkie Brooks. I think I was 11 or twelve, not sure. But don't go looking up the date it was released as I am known to lie about my age.

    5) If you could only take two books on holiday with you, which two would you choose and why?

    The first would be Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel. One of my favourites and I have only read it once but it stays in my memory as being so beautiful. I don't know why I haven't read it again but that would be an opportunity to re-read it. I think I would choose the winner of the Bailey's Women's Prize for Fiction 2014, Eimear McBride's A Girl Is a Half-Formed Thing to see how hard I have to try to get that prize one day! I can dream can't I?

    6) What is your favourite quote, and by whom?

    This is a really hard one as there are so many to choose from. But I like the one that says. “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” by Benjamin Franklin. I think I should make that my mantra.

    7) Why do you write?

    I write because over the years it has become part of my identity. I would be lost without being able to write and I've got so much more to say, how could I cope if I couldn't write it all down?

    8) In your opinion what is your best blog post? (Please provide link)

    Hmm, difficult. Maybe it is this one http://franclark.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-thursday-short-1.html This is my latest feature and I had to get up the courage to do this and keep it going on a weekly basis. I really hope it will generate interest and one day other writers might want to feature their short stories on my blog. That would be great.

    9) What are you scared of?

    I have a list. Cats, dogs, water, bees, wasps, horror movies. But I'm really scared that I can't continue my current lifestyle. Being able to write and make music keeps me happy. I'd be scared of losing that.

    10) You've got 3 wishes - what are they? (Just to note - I'm afraid I can't grant them!)
    One is to write a book that people will remember for years to come. Another is to produce an album that people will remember for years to come. And the third is to remember that I'm trying to lose weight and I must lay off the naughty snacks between meals:)
Now the rules of the award says that you may choose the number of bloggers you nominate but for me, I chose just one and if you follow her blog you'll soon find out why.
I nominate Luccia Gray, the author of the Eyre Hall Trilogy. Luccia is what I call the contstant blogger and she never tires of posting on a regular basis, popping over to other blogs and being kind enough to support and comment on the posts of others.
She claims that there are more than one of her and I'm beginning to think that is true.
Congratulations on winning the Liebster Award Luccia and here are my questions for you:
  1. What subject do you most like to blog about?
  2. Other than writing do you have any other artistic talents?
  3. Is there a part of the world you would like to write about?
  4. How would you describe The Eyre Hall Trilogy to someone you met at a party?
  5. Have you ever taken any courses in writing and how helpful do you think they are to writers?
  6. At what stage in your life did you start to call yourself a writer?
  7. What do you do for relaxation?
  8. What are you working on at the moment (Doesn't have to be book related)?
  9. What would you best like to be known for?
  10. I wish that my life was like a black and white musical, a la Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers - any secret or strange desires of your own?
 Congrats and thanks once again to both of these writers and I look forward to Luccia's post!

7 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading the answers to Sam's questions, Fran. I understand the fear that something might happen to pull the cloth from under our perfect writing lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy, thanks for dropping by and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great taste in music at the age of 11. The great ELKIE BROOKS. Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations for receiving the Liebster Award! I loved reading your answers. Your Thursday Shorts are also my favourite posts on your blog.
    I'm actually thinking of including a reblogging category called 'Sharing Shorts' because I've read so many good short stories on blogs, which I later forget about, and I'd like to keep track of them on my blog, and of course, make them known to others.
    Congratulations on such a hard-working and talented son, you must be so proud.
    Finally, thank you for nominating me, and your kind words. I'm thrilled to accept this award. I love blogging and meeting other bloggers.
    Looking forward to your shorts! Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you so much and well done you for being such a fantastic blogger. I would love more followers and I should take a leaf out of your book. I look forward to your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent answers Fran - a well deserved reward! I will look forward to reading those you've set for Luccia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Samantha. I think Luccia will be posting soon. I'll keep you posted:)

    ReplyDelete