Monday, 5 May 2014

Passing The Baton

One of the great things about blogging is you never know who you will meet along the way.

Just last week I had the pleasure of meeting Luccia Gray, author of the Eyre Hall Trilogy. Luccia told me about the blog hop, Passing The Baton, which I thought was a great way to discover new and exciting writers.

First of all - meet Luccia Gray


Luccia was born in London but now lives and works in Spain. I can't wait to read the first in the trilogy, All Hallows at Eyre Hall, which is on Amazon now. To find out more about Luccia please visit her blog and she is well worth following on Facebook.

Thanks for passing the baton, Luccia and here are my answers to the questions:

What am I working on?

I've got a few irons in the fire right now. I'm studying for a Creative Writing MA. This term (my last) I have my dissertation to finish by 14th September 2014. As my dissertation is my second novel then I'm killing two birds with one stone. Smart, huh?
Another project I have going is working towards the publication of my follow up to Holding Paradise. It is a collection of (long) short stories based, loosely, on Holding Paradise characters. I hope to publish this collection, called The Long Way Home, next year. So I'm on the look out for an excellent editor, book cover designer and self-publishing package as I think I'll go down the self publication route for this title.
Next stop, when novel two is finished, I'll be trying to find myself an agent.

How does my work differ from others in this genre?

Well I'm in to recent history so this tends to be a feature in what I'm writing right now. Holding Paradise is a split narrative and switches between present day London and 1950's through to 1980's London. At the beginning there is even a trip back to the 1930's in the early Caribbean scenes.
Novel two, currently called When Skies Are Grey begins in 1950's London and finishes in the 1970's. It means a lot of research which I find so intriguing. A few of my short stories have the split narrative running through them and again this idea of going back in time. I don't know why but I'm intrigued by historical events and love to intertwine this with the modern world.
 
Why do I write what I write? 

This is as simple to answer as it is hard. I just get inspiration for a story and run with it, so in some respects I write what I do because a storyline has haunted me for long enough. A familiar theme for me is relationships. I don't write love stories as such but I like to experiment with different scenarios and where a relationship could lead us.
That also means that I like to concentrate on character development. A good story needs good characters so I want to bring realism to what I do. I guess I could never be a fantasy writer or introduce a vampire love affair into one of my plots. That just isn't me. What I do best is writing what I know so my stories are always rooted in what moves us as humans and what measures we take to get ourselves out of unusual or extraordinary situations.

How does your writing process work?

Well the process is quite varied. I don't set a particular time to start from or to end at, I just write when I feel inspired. That usually happens when one or two of my characters are knocking at the door, waiting to say something or get to where they need to get in the plot.
I am a very bad sleeper and I wrote most of Holding Paradise during my sleepless nights. Something in me has changed and I often feel I need to get away from my office so that I can write. I've tried coffee shops but they can be a bit distracting. I will be experimenting with a reference library in town that I was told about and is supposed to be very conducive to writing.
This summer, now that I'm not attending classes, I hope to put in more hours writing as I work towards completing the first draft of When Skies Are Grey.

And now it is my turn to Pass The Baton to the next writer. Let me introduce Jane Davis.


Jane Davis lives in Carshalton, Surrey with her Formula 1 obsessed, star-gazing, beer-brewing partner, surrounded by growing piles of paperbacks, CDs and general chaos. Her first novel, Half-truths and White Lies, won the Daily Mail First Novel Award and was described by Joanne Harris as ‘A story of secrets, lies, grief and, ultimately, redemption, charmingly handled by this very promising new writer.’ She was hailed by The Bookseller as ‘One to Watch.’ Jane has since gone on to self-publish four novels, I Stopped Time, These Fragile Things, A Funeral for an Owl and An Unchoreographed Life. Indie book accreditation site, Compulsion Reads, wrote that, ‘Davis is a phenomenal writer, whose ability to create well rounded characters that are easy to relate to feels effortless.’ Jane’s favourite description of fiction is that it is ‘made-up truth.’
Jane blogs about her writing journey and hosts interviews with other authors and invites guest blogs at http://www.jane-davis.co.uk/blog/ 
You can also link up with her on:
 
Her paperbacks are available to buy from Amazon and selected bookshops and her e-books are available from Amazon and Smashwords. 
I look forward to joining Jane next week on her blog when she passes the baton on!









Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I agree that blogging is a great way to meet people who share your interests from all over the world! And writing can be very lonely, and even obsessive…so you need to branch out, see what other people are doing, and see how they’re doing it! Thanks for your kind words, for sharing your answers, and for introducing me/us to Jane Davis. I’ll definitely check her out and look forward to reading her blog hop, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luccia, thanks for dropping by. I'm also building up a reading list of new writers like this too!

      Delete