Saturday, 1 February 2014

Author Interview - Joseph M Rinaldo

My guest author, Joseph M Rinaldo, talks to us about his work and his new novel, Valerie's Retreat.

 

Welcome, Joseph. Tell us what you've published so far.




I have published four books that are available on Amazon.

Valerie'sRetreat puts Valerie's crisis management skills on display. You'll get to know her pretty average life. Her job as the head teller at a bank, her one bedroom apartment, and her exceptionally lazy cat give the impression that she could be anyone you meet in your daily life. However, when things start to get rough, her first reaction is to run. An abusive childhood you learn about as the story proceeds left her with shaky decision-making skills. Franco, her boyfriend, doesn't know what the right answer is either. Between them they commit a little felony and leave the country.

A SpyAt Home is a memoir of a former spy who near the end of his career comes to the realization that his life's work of promoting rebellion in third-world counties for American interests was a waste. Out of bitterness, he steals over nine million dollars on his last mission. The money was meant for a pro-American rebel group in an impoverished country. His retirement is spent learning what he missed at home with his family and wondering if the CIA will figure out he has their money.

HazardousChoices describes the difficulty a young man has trying to fit in during his first year of college. In Chicago he served as a gangbanger for the vicious Neptune Knights, and in a small Kentucky town where he received a scholarship to play division two football he tries to fit in with the other students. His understanding of the world doesn't make much sense in this environment.

A Mormon Massacre tells about a young man in his early twenties who had been raised hating the Mormon church. To fight what he believes is a cult, Jeremiah goes undercover as a convert to rescue women from abusive plural marriages.
  
What was the thing that influenced you to start writing? 
 
The actual impetus for me to begin writing came while I was reading Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks. When I got to the part where he received a million-dollar advance, I thought, “Holy cow! He’s a good writer, but I know I can do this, too.” I’ve been writing since that day in 2004.

Tell me your success stories in terms of publishing/self-publishing?

The success of Rinaldo Write and our four titles has succeeded in large part due to advances in technology. CreateSpace and Kindle have made self-publishing so easy. We feel that our four titles are strong additions to the fiction market and look forward to promoting them. If you would like a free chapter of one of our titles, please contact us through Facebook or our website - www.josephmrinaldo.com.

What are your top writing tips for any aspiring writer?

Have someone who will read your book and tell you if it stinks. That's harder than it sounds, because most people won't want to hurt your feelings. Also, this person needs to be an avid reader. Find out if your manuscript is mentioned in the same sentence with big-name writers. If not, you need to get some honest critique before going forward with its promotion.


What are you working on now?

Life After Life; right now I love that title but it might change. This is about man who thinks he's crazy because he knows he's reincarnated. In his previous life he served as the man-servant to Alexander the First, the Tsar of Russia. The Tsar's death is surrounded by mystery and suspicion. This man knows the truth.

What do you draw on for inspiration?

The ideas for books strike me from out of nowhere. Sometimes while I'm reading a book or watching the news an idea for a story comes to me. Other times, I have an idea based on a book I read several years ago and an event that happened several months ago. Those two might not have seemed connected at the time, but after rolling around in my head they become a story. I never know where inspiration will come from.


Please tell me anything else you'd like the reader to know about you.

I live in Nashville, Tennessee with my wife and daughter. We like to go boating as a family, and I jog to stay fit. My daughter has Down syndrome and competes in Special Olympic powerlifting, bowling, and basketball. I'm an assistant basketball coach and helper "coach" for powerlifting. My arms are so tiny they make Barney Fife look strong.

I understand people are hesitant to give independent authors a chance. Some of the indie stuff IS really bad. If any of the books I've mentioned interest you, please go to the free "Click to Look Inside" and sample the first chapter. If a book grabs you that quick, you'll probably be glad you got it. Also, if you are in a book club that reads one of my books I'd be honoured to join your discussion. Feel free to contact me through Facebook or my website, www.josephmrinaldo.com.


Thank you Joseph!

Please click on the titles in the interview for more details about all of Joseph's books and where you can purchase a copy.

2 comments:

  1. "Life After Life; right now I love that title but it might change. This is about man who thinks he's crazy because he knows he's reincarnated. In his previous life he served as the man-servant to Alexander the First, the Tsar of Russia. The Tsar's death is surrounded by mystery and suspicion. This man knows the truth."

    This sounds amazing! I would definitely read this!!! Ah, Kate Atkinson also has a book called 'Life After Life' out now and it's a little bit similar in terms of concept. I'd love to read both.

    I love what Mr Rinaldo said about inspiration. My experience is very similar!
    Thanks for sharing this interview =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do read them be sure to share with a review!

      Delete