Friday, 6 December 2013

Drunk Writer, Sober Editor!

Since my last post I've hardly come up for air. Firstly because of all the reading I'm doing for my Creative Writing MA and secondly in the past week I put the research to one side and got down to some serious writing of my second novel. I'm now just over 17,000 words in and the ideas just keep coming - maybe a bit faster than I can cope with but I'm getting it all down just the same.

I'm being inspired by all the memoirs and text books I've been reading on the craft of writing and finding your voice. I probably would never have bothered if they hadn't been on the recommended reading list for Uni.

Here are the ones I've read, liked and would recommend:


1. On Writing: a memoir on the craft by Stephen King
Cover of "The Writer's Voice"
 2. The Writer's Voice by Al Alvarez


Cover of
3.  Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
Cover of

4.  Finding your voice Les Edgerton
5.  Bestseller: secrets of successful writing by Celia Brayfield

I have to say that reading about the experiences and advice of some of the above didn't always sit well with me but if you do read books like this then you have to take what suits you as a writer and not believe or accept every piece of advice to the letter. You'll go crazy if you do!

Following the advice I'm writing every day and not stopping to edit as I always have done and it's very liberating. I will also not let anyone read anything until after I've completed my second draft. Whilst this happens I'll let the book sit and brew and hopefully go in for a final edit after all the comments are in. We'll see. I don't want to be too strict with myself and feel like a failure if I don't stick to the plan.

I've just picked up this one:




It's by Theo Pauline Nestor and is making for a good read so far. I'll let you know if it rates with the others when I get there.

But, Dear Writers, to sum all the advice up:
  • Write with the office door shut, edit with it open
  • Write like a child, edit like an adult
  • Write drunk, edit sober
  • Listen to me, don't listen to me
Happy Writing!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment