Friday, 15 November 2013

Write Time Write Place

Some writers might say that the week I've had was just par for the course for most writers. As a new writer I couldn't confirm this but it has been one of those weeks.


Let me break it down.

  • As you will know I have been beavering away at novel number two. I started it with gusto earlier this year and then a case of Writer's Block had me stumped. I summoned up my best attempts (see previous posts) and continued on, determined to power through to the end. But alas. Nasty novel number two has me beat. I gave up on it! *gasp* But when I did so I had no knots in my stomach, no wrenching feeling that it was a mistake I'd regret for the rest of my life. No - it felt right. 

My Tip: Don't be afraid to put your idea in a drawer somewhere. You might be able to come back to it or use some of the ideas or characters, settings, themes etc on another story. Or maybe not. But if it feels right - give up.

  • Novel number one will be published in Spring 2014! So come March I will finally become a published author and I can't tell you how excited, nervous, happy, dizzy and extremely proud that makes me. Yoohoo!
My Tip: If you believe in a story you'll feel it and even if you suffer from writer's block you will finish it and with enough determination you will get it published too!

  • I have had another idea for a new novel number two! So very different from the one I ditched. I need to do a lot of research for this story as it looks back on 1950s London and I want to get it right. I'm very excited about this story and it is going to be truer to my voice than the one I gave up on. (More about this in future posts).
My Tip: Write the story that feels right for you at the time. Don't just hammer away at an idea that does nothing to feed your soul.

Happy Writing Folks (and reading - lots of that to do on my Creative Writing MA!)


Writer Wordart
Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

  1. Fran, even when it feels right, takes courage to walk away from a story you believed in . . . A little like a breakup when you know he's not the right one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Carol. I feel free now and there's a big space opened up for some new writing - looking forward to getting my teeth into this new story:)

      Delete
  2. It really sounds like you are on to something with 'new novel 2' and your energy is back....a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Sharon, can't wait to get into this new book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That's a great achievement!

    ReplyDelete