I still have a few books in the wings that tell me how to write but nothing beats just getting down to it. My plot is straightforward but I have lots of characters so every now and again it seems a bit too much. This week I got tough on my plot and characters and tried to get them all in shape. I'm seeing some good results.
My list on how to stop dithering and WRITE:
- Turn off all Social Media, the TV, your family, the oven and the phone (land & especially mobile).
- Stopping for cakes and chocolate (add wine and any self indulgent treats to this list) is not a way to limber up the brain for writing.
- Re-examine the plot.
- Name your characters, write their CV onto a post card. Write another post card detailing what happens to them.
- Write out main events in the story still to cover.
- Write out minor events in the story still to cover.
- Write these events into chapters.
- Voila, your fist draft is complete.
- Leave it to simmer.
- Read it all through and gear up to starting the second draft.
- Pat yourself on the back and eat comfort foods (but don't get carried away) then get ready for the real writing to begin.
Happy Writing Folks!