Tuesday, 3 September 2013

The Age Of Miracles - Book Review

I decided to read the Richard and Judy Summer Book Club 2013. I interspersed the challenge with other reads outside their list and the one million and one other things that seem to be happening in my life at the moment. (Yes I'm the one with the dark circles under her eyes that can't stop yawning).

But I'm here to rave about one of the books on that R and J List. It's called The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker and here is the trailer:


When I'd finished this book I just couldn't believe this was the author's first novel. It is refreshingly imaginative and poetic. Thompson Walker's observations of the coming of age topic is so beautifully done. You cannot help but be moved even if you did not experience a life similar to the 11 year old protagonist, Julia because it is certainly well observed.

The element of science fiction in this novel could so worryingly become science fact so you are compelled to turn the page to find out what happens next.

I dare you not to be moved by this remarkable piece of writing but I won't give any spoilers.

It started slow and the author hides a shocking revelation about what happens to the world around us behind the simplistic story of a young girl growing up.

I very rarely give an all star rating to anything but if I had to score this out of ten, for me this gets full marks. I aspire to write something so well crafted.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment