Friday, 17 May 2013

Writing With The Pomodoro Technique!

It seems like ages since I posted. I've been making way for some fabulous writers to talk to you about their work but I've been working too!

A few weeks ago I was introduced to the Pomodoro Technique. It was developed by Francesco Cirillo in the1980s and has proven to be an effective time management method that can be used for different tasks.

The very basics are that you set a timer for 25 minutes and work at your task consistently until the timer goes off. Then you take up to a 5 minute break. The break must not be related to your task and should be restful and not taxing on the brain. The idea is that our brains work better if given frequent breaks. Hmm...

After applying this method to my writing I have to say that it really works for me! I am strict about not going on-line or watching tv or making phone calls etc during my breaks. The most taxing thing I'll do in a break is make a herbal tea. I've meditated on my breaks, stood on my balcony and taken in the views of Kew Gardens or just gone and sat in a room other than the one I'm writing.

As soon as I come back to writing I feel refreshed and full of ideas. It's a bit like starting to write again for the first time that day. I usually take a 3 - 10 minute break. I use the system when editing too. If you think you need to look something up on-line as you are writing during the 25 minute session, then just make a note and do the research another time and use your results next time you sit down to write.

It was hard not to check emails the first time I started trying this method but let's face it, the emails aren't going anywhere. So far I've done 4 x 25 minute slots before stopping for a longer break of about an hour. Usually for lunch or something but I think I will keep going with this method for now. I love it and may well let use it in other tasks.

The 5 basic steps to implementing the technique can be found here the above is my interpretation and how I make it work for me!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment