Monday, 15 April 2013

Why Do You Write?

SongWriter
Because I am Moved. It's that simple. I was asked this question in my Writers' Workshop and here is my answer:

I'm a singer-songwriter so I've been writing songs for a long time. I get ideas for stories popping into my head whenever I am influenced by something that has happened in my life or in the life of someone I know. It could be the vaguest of topics and somehow a story will spring to mind. Up until a few years ago I wrote these stories as songs but a bigger and more involved story formed in my mind after listening to stories about my mother's island in the Caribbean and it wouldn't work as a song. It was bigger than that. So my novel Holding Paradise was born. Strangely enough the story I thought I was going to tell just kept transforming itself until my characters were writing their own dialogue, living their own scenes, right there on my laptop and I couldn't let it lie.

I never intended to pursue publication until after a year or two of writing I wondered if I had any talent as a novelist and asked people to read my drafts. I got a very good response and I began to see myself as a 'proper' writer.

Although I have a publishing deal (and that's fantastic) I write because I'm passionate about it and I want to become better. My song writing improved in time and this year I'm not only looking forward to seeing my book in print but also a second album that I am equally proud of.

I know I won't always be able to sing but as long as I can produce the right words, I will always write.

Straight after finishing my first novel I wrote a collection of short stories as a follow up. I am now a quarter of the way through my second novel. There's no stopping me!

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Fran. It is a compulsion for me too and virtually everything I see and hear I start thinking of how I can turn it into a story! I'm so pleased to have found your blog as part of the challenge that I nominated it for an award today over on my blog. Hope you can pass it on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It starts with a vague idea told with our own voice, until it becomes a community creation as characters start to play(mess) with our brain! ;)

    Great post!
    A.

    ReplyDelete