Tuesday, 23 April 2013

What Is Women's Fiction?


Thoughtful. As writers we are told to know our genre when we are writing so that pitching it to an agent or publisher will be easier and targeting our readers when marketing will be more effective. That all makes perfect sense. So when writing my first novel I had to think about what sort of writer I really am. Who do I target if I want people to buy my book?

After a lot of thought I realised that I am a writer of Women's Fiction.

Women's FictionMy definition: subjects that are of greater interest to women than they would be to men! And to clarify (but only a little). It's about relationships, family, women's issues, development and growth of characters after a struggle, includes characters that women can identify with. The story can be from any decade, country, place or time. It can include, murder, mystery, suspense, intrigue, romance, comedy, tragedy.

That's my 'in a nutshell' answer.

What is Women's Fiction?




Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I guess I also write women's fiction too, then! I kind of knew this already, but it's nice to see it defined so simply. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete