Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Submitting Your Novel - Checklist

As I get closer to submitting my latest novel to agents I'm feeling Uneasy.

No-one likes to receive a rejection letter. And whilst the chances are high that quite a few will land on your door mat before you get that agent or publishing deal, here are a list of things I will do to make sure I stand a chance of someone looking at my manuscript.

I will:
  1. Have my submission proof read/edited/had a report by a literary consultant
  2. Seek out agents/publishers actively looking for books in my genre
  3. Did some research on by target audience
  4. Read lots of novels by authors who write in my genre
  5. Not submit any more or less than the agent/publisher has asked for
Some of these might seem pretty obvious but I've read too many posts by agents who are exasperated by writers who never read their submission guidelines and try to do quirky tricks to get their manuscript noticed. Don't.  I will read their guidelines several times!

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Fran for these guidelines which seem pretty transparent and simple but all too often the obvious is overlooked. And here's hoping that you land the agent!


    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you well! Watch the A to Z Blog Thursday for a push for followers on your blog. I'm now following as well.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fran - I hope it goes well for you! I'm far from that stage at this point in time (still in edit mode and waiting for professional assessment on my first book)but I feel as excited for you as if it were me!

    Would love a catch-up via email when you have a moment!

    best wishes
    Elaine

    http://www.elainejjackson.com/

    ReplyDelete