Friday, 19 April 2013

How To Finish Writing A Novel

In a Quandary. That's how I feel today. Yesterday I talked big about getting my novel finished by the end of June. I'm not going back on that but I thought it might be a good thing to qualify my method. I proved I could finish a novel as this is number two (or will be). So how did I finish writing a novel?

Here are my tips:
  1. Get your notebook out and write the outline and that includes an ending (you can change anything later - it isn't set in stone).
  2. Who are your main players? Write a short paragraph on each of your characters big and small and get to know them.
  3. Let your ideas/scenes/dialogues play in your head before you even start writing and when you do - allow the scenes to play out differently than you imagined. Let it surprise you.
  4. Each time you write a chapter or section, make a note of what happened, when you introduced someone new, dates you used and places visited. That way when you need to think back it's all documented and you don't waste ages searching for when Mr So and So first got the X-ray that proved he swallowed a penny. (You know what I mean)!
  5. If a scene gets too difficult - leave it, sleep on it. Something will come. If it really doesn't then you might be barking up the wrong tree.
  6. Write everyday. Sometimes setting a word count per day can help motivate you.
  7. Edit as you go. I find it less of a chore than trying to edit a whole novel.
  8. Tell yourself you can do this and write until you come to that 'the end' page.
  9. Read it over.
  10. Let people you trust read, comment and critique. And then edit!

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

  1. Sound advice!! I can immediately spot a couple of things that I didn't do... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your advice. Very practical and may just help me get going on one I have started too long ago!
    Following you!

    atoz challenge
    www.mainelywrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Each time you write a chapter or section, make a note of what happened, when you introduced someone new, dates you used and places visited. "

    I do this. I call it their(the characters') journal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All great tips, rounding off nicely with the reading friends. I think that's absolutely crucial ...

    Great post. Enjoyed being here.

    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent tips. I do some of these... others not, but every writer's "process" is going to be slightly different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. Stopping by from A-Z. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete