Thursday, 25 April 2013

Do You Need A Writing Buddy?

I'm feeling Valued by my writing buddy who, every now and again, buys me little gifts to show her appreciation for the support I have given her as she wrote her first novel and now as she seeks a literary agent.

But it works two ways of course. My writing buddy started off as one of the handful of people that read my first novel and offered their feedback. Hers was very detailed and extremely helpful and I offered to do the same when she decided to write her book. We email each other sections of our work, maybe a chapter or two and we both send back our suggestions/comments/feedback. We meet fortnightly as far as possible for breakfast and have a feedback session that we both come away from feeling energised and have a direction to take our writing forward with. Because we've gotten together so often over the last few years we know the other's style/plot/characters etc and the feedback is usually spot on - for both of us.


Writing can be very lonely at times. In my experience a Writers' Group can never be as in depth as the invaluable help you can get with the right writing buddy. I suggest you find one - now!
Enhanced by Zemanta

17 comments:

  1. This is lovely - and I completely agree; writing buddies are a brilliant idea. I don't have one for my fiction, but I work as a writer/editor for my day-job, and I have a good friend who does the same thing. We email regularly throughout the day, share worries, run tricky situations by one another...it's indispensable support in what is, as you've pointed out, an essentially lonely activity.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A timely reminder Fran thank you! I will seek one out - can't think of anyone right now, but I reckon it's important. As soon as the A-Z is over and done!
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well good luck finding someone, Susan. So lucky that I did!

      Delete
  3. I love that you have found your buddy. I'm still looking but I believe in writing in packs. It's my post for tomorrow. Shhh! Spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy having a writing buddy. I am always so amazed what she picks up on that I've missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are fortunate. I wish I had a writing buddy. I'm in a writer's group, but it is more of an annoyance than any kind of help or support.

    Lee
    Blogging from A to Z
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's time to seek out a new writer's group, Lee!

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of a writing buddy and I think I know just the person:) Thanks for the great suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool idea! Now to find a writing buddy. :)
    #1204
    A to Z April Blogging Challenge
    http://mauldinfamily1.wordpress.com/?p=2646

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard to find the right writing buddy. Now it is my husband -- he is great for editing, not so much the creative stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds just like my husband. Very good at spotting typos. I knew there was a reason for marrying him! Thanks for dropping by and will see you soon.

      Delete
  9. Hi. I have a writing buddy who not only critiques my work but checks in with me frequently. We do non-writing things together too. But my day to day support comes from my best friend, my husband. Great post, Fran!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice you can support each other like that. Best of luck to you both. A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my writing buddy but didn't realize how much until he hasn't been here due to illness. I miss the critiques and encouragement. Was reading some of your other posts. Glad I found you on A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came across your blog on the Challenge list and since I write women's fiction I wanted to follow! I don't belong to a writer group, and I'm not sure if I have an actual writing buddy or not. Maybe but I don't call her that. It sounds like you and your buddy have a great relationship. I'll be back again, nice to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! You are sooooo right. I met my writing buddy 20 years ago at a convention. We've become best friends, and some genealogical work turned up evidence that we're distant cousins! Clearly we were meant for each other.

    Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Valued is an important word. We need to feel valued, and we need to make others feel valued.

    ReplyDelete