Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Do I Need A Book Trailer?

Vanguardismo
O is the letter for today's A-Z Challenge. For me it stands for Open-minded.

A few weeks ago I was dead set on the idea of making a book trailer. But to be honest I hadn't even heard of book trailers until I started this blog and started reading the blogs of other writers and discovered them that way. Now my head is full of question marks on the subject.

I asked myself: How did I discover books before I discovered book trailers? I never saw them when I discovered new authors, new titles, many of them I've loved after buying them. But as  a new writer trying to find my place in the market, don't I owe it to myself to keep up with the times? I've already story boarded my trailer but haven't shot anything as yet.

So my question to you, dear reader is (and thanks for stopping by) Do I Need a Book Trailer - and why? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

  1. Hello, Fran! I'm by no means an expert on the subject–I haven't had anything published yet, not even close–but I do know that none of my reader friends have ever seen a book trailer. And I've only ever seen them on my writer buddies' blogs. I think it's something only other writers with writing blogs do and see on other writers' writing blogs (lol, say that three times fast!). So you definitely don't NEED one, but if you want to make one, go ahead! It won't hurt. You never know, it could be beneficial!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't know, because I am not there yet with my writing, but I think Laura above gave you some good advice! www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh, I don't know either. As a reader, I think I've only ever watched maybe one... and I didn't run out and buy the book.

    As an author, I'm indecisive on the subject. If you get any fabulous advice on this one, pass it my way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a lot of authors put a lot of time and effort into book trailers and I think I have ever only watched one.

    You are much better off doing blog tours and going places where people can read your words.

    That is only my opinion though.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side and The Witch
    Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know for a fact I've sold books because of book trailers, but not enough to where I feel the hours spent making them was worthwhile. Now I focus that time on writing the next book instead. That isn't to say I'll never make another trailer--I do enjoy them. But this is pretty back burner compared to other forms of promotion that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I hop you are well. Being in the digital age a book trailer can provide you with reaching people and networks that wouldn't normally read a synopsis to make their buying decision.

    Take a look at the write up on Book Trailers PR by the Books has on their site. Bring Media does high quality book trailers -- making the book sellable. If the quality is not in the trailer it can actually hurt you more then help you.


    http://www.prbythebook.com/bring-media-on-book-trailers/

    ReplyDelete