Monday, 29 April 2013

About Writer's Block

Monday morning and I wasYearning for one decent sentence to get the novel writing off to a good start. But nothing came. Not one single word or idea. I was dry. There was nothing to write. Help. It happened to me for the first time. Writer's Block.

I took a deep breath and told myself not to panic. A few deep breaths later and I was still looking at an empty page. I checked my emails. As I was on-line anyway I decided to Bing 'Writer's Block' and get some advice.

The biggest tips were:
1. Eat something, you need a rush of energy to get you started. Did that. Still nothing.
2. Have a rest, you are tired so your imagination won't flow. Did that. Still an empty page.
3. Write something completely unrelated. Wrote an email to my friend in Florida. There is nothing on my page!
4. Read, someone else's writing, the words will stimulate you. I picked up Maya Angelou and just felt intimidated.

This was no good. I went out, bought two things I didn't need. A large packet of crisps and a large tub of natural yogurt! When I got back home I made a blueberry and banana smoothie with the said yogurt. I turned on the television and watched the first thing that came on, ate crisps and drank my smoothie. Hey presto, ideas started to flow again. Laptop back on and off I went.

My conclusion is that crisps and smoothies help you beat writer's block - No, that's not it. In fact I'm non the wiser about how to unblock Writer's Block. If it happens again - do I buy yogurt and crisps? Or something entirely different?


The discouraged Nenene suffering from writer's...
The discouraged Nenene suffering from writer's block continues to lament the disappearance of Yomiko (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Do you have any tips to beat Writer's Block?

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Writer's block is awful. A walk around the block may help. Lying on the grass may. But just write anything. See that lamp on other side of room.? Write about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grab a book you liked from your shelf, perhaps a classic and write either a first line or any line that intrigues you and go from there in your own words. But I like your idea about eating something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really suffer from writer's block as much as I battle with laziness and lack of motivation. I can always find the words, but sometimes I just don't feel like doing it or I find something to distract me.

    Susan makes a good point in her comment. I did a post about that once where I started writing about the stapler on my desk. Once I got started I had to force myself to stop. I could have written all day inspired by that stapler.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the cure is unique to each person... for me, it's Christmas music [shrug]!

    ReplyDelete