Saturday, 13 April 2013

5 Of My Favourite Writers' Quotes


Lazy is what you could say I am today. My excuse is that I'm shutting up so that the important people can say it for me instead:
  1. 'Ultimately, literature is nothing but carpentry. With both you are working with reality, a material just as hard as wood.'
    [Gabriel García Marquez]
     

  2. 'I don't know much about creative writing programs. But they're not telling the truth if they don't teach, one, that writing is hard work, and, two, that you have to give up a great deal of life, your personal life, to be a writer.'   [Doris Lessing]
  3. 
    'You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair - the sense that you can never completely put on the page what's in your mind and heart.  You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names.  You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world.  Come to it any way but lightly.  Let me say it again: you must not come lightly to the blank page.' [Stephen King]
  4. 'Write about what really interests you, whether it is real things or imaginary things, and nothing else.  (Notice this means that if you are interested only in writing you will never be a writer, because you will have nothing to write about...)' [ C S Lewis]
  5. 'I know that I'm a real writer because sometimes I write a story just because I want to; not because someone's told me to ... Nothing stops me writing except flu.' [Fay Weldon]
 
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Some good quotes to ponder.


    Cynthia (The Sock Zone)
    a to z challenge
    blueflute.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good quotes to ponder.


    Cynthia (The Sock Zone)
    a to z challenge
    blueflute.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete