Friday, 22 March 2013

5 Short Story Collections You Should Be Reading

I read a blog post recently by a book blogger who found that there were some really good authors of novels who were just a bit hit and miss when it came to their capability to write short stories. I found it interesting as just last summer I completed a collection of short stories. I have them on hold whilst I go through the process of having my first novel published.

My reason for writing these stories was because, after completing the final draft of my first novel, I was left with a gap. My characters were still living with me and I felt that for some of the supporting characters, their story could do with embellishment. I set the stories in the past, present and future of the time that my novel takes place (1936 - 2008). I hope that these stories can stand alone without the reader having to have read the novel first. I have tested them on a small audience and so far the response has been good.

(By the way the last short story collection I read was by Raymond Carver,  Elephant. Loved them all)!

So how do you write a short story and what makes a short story great? I've posted some links that might help you getting the best out of your short story writing. I hope this helps.

http://www.write101.com/shortstory.htm

http://www.shortstorygroup.com/storytips.htm

http://www.nationalshortstoryweek.org.uk/short-story-writing.htm

And now follow the link below for some recommendations:

5 Short Story Collections You Should Be Reading | Thought Catalog

If you can add to any of the above then please let me know!

Happy Writing All!

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Brand new follower here, stopping by as an A to Z co-host, so: nice to meet you, Fran!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too Matthew and look forward to your posts!

      Delete
  2. Hi Fran. Thanks for the follow. Not sure why but when I clicked your avatar, blogger didn't show your websites. (Had to find you in my reader list). There is a website spot (homepage url) in your profile, you might want to check. Anyway, looking forward to your a-z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes looking forward to your A-Z too!(I've checked that box - hopefully I solved the problem)

      Delete