Thursday, 28 February 2013

The Ideal Book Trailer

The perfect book trailer. Now it's all a matter of taste, or course, but I've seen quite a few on various blogs and on line and it occurs to me that it would be an exciting challenge to make a trailer for my book, Holding Paradise, before it comes out a little later this year.

The idea of a book trailer is fairly new to me. In fact it was only since getting close to publishing that I discovered that such things exist. Of course I've seen trailers on TV for programmes and at the cinema for films. They are such a clever device and, if done right, can bring people you didn't even expect to attract closer to the product you'll eventually produce.

Film trailers are so elaborate, they would be, there's lots of money thrown at them, so they should be all singing and all dancing. But they are a great medium for giving you a real sense of the subject, a taste of what to expect but they certainly don't give everything away. You have to see the film for that!

So, my challenge is - can I pull this book trailer thing off. As I said before, I've seen a few book trailers now and whilst most are obviously done on a budget, there is something to be said for the simple approach.

Here's one I watched today - I don't expect to aspire to this but there is a lot to be learned from it.

It is the book trailer for 'Stanley Kubrick and Me' by Emilio D'Alessandro and it really gave me food for thought.

It is simple, creates atmosphere and intrigue all at the same time. A person opening a box full of memories, griping music and a shot of the author. Brilliant.

As I say, I don't expect mine to be that good. I've done a story board for my trailer and plan to shoot it over the next couple of weeks. I'm on a budget of nothing so need to call in some favours! But please ome back and see how I get on.

If you have any tips or stories behind the making your trailer, I'd love to hear them.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fran-
    Your post is so timely for me. I also recently watched some book trailers and decided to make my own as well. I am about halfway through. I have loved this creative process, which is telling a story in a way that is not writing but through images and music.
    I would love to share it with you when I am finished and I would also love to see your completed project.
    Thanks for sharing this post!
    Sherry Parnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the trailer, Sherry and I'd love to see the result! I'm a bit nervous about starting mine but excited at the same time. Watch this space for mine. Glad you enjoyed the post!
    Fran

    ReplyDelete