Wednesday, 2 January 2013

New Year - New Book

Towards the end of last year I got to the end of the third draft of my second book. A short story collection called The Long Way Home. It's a follow up to my first novel, Holding Paradise, which will be published next year by Indigo Dreams.

I got quite a taste for writing short stories whilst on a Creative Writing course and it was a refreshing change writing The Long Way Home after the intensity of Holding Paradise.

The short story collection is now with one of my readers so I'm able to get back on the keyboard with my latest offering. A few posts back I told you that I had an idea gathering dust in the depths of my Word files and couldn't wait to get back to it. Enthusiastically I clicked "open file", read the opening chapters and felt really disconnected from the story. I was surprised by how uninspired I was by what I was reading. I'd been dreaming up scenes for that idea as I ran along the Grand Union Canal getting my three runs a week workout. But I really felt nothing.

But, as it's me, and never short of an idea brewing for some kind of story or other, this seemed to lay the way clear for a new something brewing on the back burner of my imagination. So off I started. New Year, new book idea.

The working title is Breakfast. But it's not about food. Promise. Had enough of that over Christmas.

Breakfast is a six degrees of separation type drama that takes place within one square mile of a local area. The main point of focus is a cafe bar (hence Breakfast, I suppose). As the players come together, lives will be influenced. Lives will be lost, found but changed in some way. I'm on my sick bed as I write this. Contracted a second winter bug and not best pleased. But at least I've got Breakfast in bed.


Happy 2013 and a Happy Year of writing to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment