Friday, 18 January 2013

Meditate and Write Better - Count Me In

One of the blogs I follow is offering daily writing tips for 2013. As I'm a new writer, I'm in the business of taking all the advice I can get my hands on. The biggest message I'm getting is writing makes you a better writer but any extra tips will only help. Am I right?

Today's tip was about meditation and imagine my delight when I read this because guess who has just signed up for a beginners meditation course? Why me of course. I'm enrolling because I'm a bit of an insomniac. Haven't slept in 10 years (well not properly anyway) and tried all the remedies apart from prescribed drugs. No thanks.

This is my tip for today and looks like meditation might not only resolve the sleep issue but help the writing process too.  Read on.
Start Write 2013
with London Writers' Club
 Meditation: A great way to boost your supply of ideas and writing
stamina
 
Meditation has many benefits that are particularly relevant to writers. I practice Transcendental Meditation and often have ideas for books or chapters during or shortly after meditation. Problems I'm wrestling with are often solved. When I meditate, the ego drops away and ideas come if the time is right, so there's no 'writer's block'.
If I'm too tired to write, I meditate for 20-30 minutes, which gives me the energy I need to keep going. Try it yourself?
John Purkiss is the author of BRAND YOU
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fran,

    I found you on Goodreads. I published my first novel, A Stop in the Park, in September. One of the best writing craft books I came across was "Writing the Breakout Novel" by Donald Maass. I'm not an expert meditator, but I know when I focus on breathing and really let my mind rest, I'm asleep in no time. Good luck with it! Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy. One meditation session under my belt so far, three to go. Here's hoping. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete