Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Let's Begin

Today is my birthday. A good day to start my blog, I thought. Just as I was always waiting for a good day to start writing my book. That day took a good ten years to come.

You see I had this idea for a story. I wasn't sure of the idea was any good or not but it wouldn't leave me alone. And you may wonder why it took so long to write. Now that it's all complete, I know why I couldn't have written it earlier. It just wouldn't have come out the way it has now. I went through several trial runs in my mind, possible beginning words and chapters, how it should end and who should my main characters be. What should I call them and what would they look like? Well the answer was simple. Wait and see what comes out.

After a few false starts in notebooks I can't even find now, I began. Then I stopped, started, continued, read, re-read and one day I was finished. Or so I thought. I wasn't quite happy. The people I'd asked to read it were impressed but something inside me told me the story still wasn't being told right.

I sat back for days and pondered my dilemma. Then a new way of working the plot came to me - as if by magic - and I went straight into edit mode once again. The ideas were coming thick and fast. The book was writing itself, telling the story right this time. Finally I was happy.

My book, Holding Paradise, will be out in 2013 and published by Indigo Dreams

The journey continues as I enter the world of publishing, marketing and promotion. I'm in for the ride of my life but I'm ready and I'll be back to let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment